Tuesday, December 21, 2010

For the past week or so I've been trying to come up with a movie pitch based loosely on my childhood, and some of the things that went on between Lisa and me when we were sixteen and then a little later. The story has been very resistant to plotting. I find it hard to write about my own life. For one thing, I'm disinclined to make everyone out to be as horrible as they would need to be for great drama. Lisa and I watched THE SQUID AND THE WHALE, a drama about a family of intellectuals all of whom are various flavors of atrocious people. I do not hate my family as much as Noah Baumbach does.

And yet, and yet, and yet, THE CIRCLE CAST is what I know. And in some ways, it comes out of the same family michegas that my movie about 16 year old Alex came out of. I've always felt close to Morgan because I've always had a deep anger I didn't dare express. And I've always wanted to find the magic in the heart of things. I've always wanted to find out the mystery.

'S funny. I feel like I don't know my childhood like I know Morgan le Fay and the whole King Arthur story. It rings true to me. My own story feels a bit implausible, really.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Back to The Circle Cast main blog page.



This page is powered by Blogger.


The Circle Cast Web Site